This video from Anusara resignee, Amy Ippoliti, discusses how to become a big time, hot shot, everyone wants to yank your jock, yoga instructor. It’s also designed to get the part of your brain that constantly says, “I wish everyone liked me,” to tell the part of your brain that doesn’t give a crap to shut the f’ up.
Soooo…. Basically…. The secret to being a popular yoga instructor is to practice yoga and rub a genie lamp.
If you stop for a moment and listen to the language at the beginning of this video, and remember that it’s describing yoga, it all just sounds so ridiculous. Under the pretense of helping you become financially stable, this video fishes for people who really just want to be popular. Basically, this is a video about how to become liked by people, and has almost nothing to do with teaching yoga. If it did have something to do with teaching yoga, it would just sound so very off….
- Imagine being totally fired up!!!! to teach some people how to align their knee over their middle toe.
- Imagine walking into a room where people tend to practice rotating their hip in order to allow for more length in the side body, and there’s, like, a line of people waiting to get in!!!!
- Imagine when you sit down in a small informal circle to discuss how certain asanas might facilitate a deeper sense of center there’s a huge group of people sitting there waiting!!!!
- Imagine after instructing people on how to practice yoga you’re talking to Bill about how he might maintain his practice while traveling next week and a bunch of students come running up to you saying, “Oh my god! That was the best instruction on how to practice yoga ever!!!!“
- Imagine being in an imaginary dressing room, because small local studios rarely have them, and the people you just taught the teachings of yoga to are raving, “Wow I feel so sparkly right now!!!!” Imagine you actually put stock in that! Imagine how unfortunate that would be.
Maybe it’s time to stop imagining.
Also, PS—If you’re a yoga instructor out there and you need to be told to prioritize practicing yoga every day, than you don’t deserve to watch even Amy Ippoliti tell you to do so. Find a new hobby. You’re dangerous.
Thanks to one of our readers for forwarding this along.