Speaking of dudes in regular people clothes….
A few of you have noticed how little ink we spill on NYC’s old-skool yoga instructor, Dharma Mittra, creator of the 908 Yoga Asana poster that, still to this day, doesn’t look like it contains all 908 asanas.
The real reason we don’t talk about him so much is because, in all honesty, we don’t know that much about him. He’s just not on our radar for some reason.
So, when we came across this ad for an upcoming workshop he’ll be leading at Kripalu early next year, we didn’t think much of it.
Mostly we just noticed the usual Dharma Mittra stuff: A head of hair that’d make a sixteen-year-old jealous, two thoughtful eyebrows, a perfectly cropped George Clooney beard, an abundance of rudraksha beads, flowey hot orange pants, and a pair of black socks to do yoga in.
Wait. What? Socks? While doing yoga?
That’s right, kids. Looks like your bossy 200-hour-trained twenty-something yoga teacher was just all sorts of wrong. Apparently, you can wear socks while doing yoga. You see, someday when you’re older you’ll realize that once you pass the age of, say, sixty (Dharma is seventy-two) not only will you be able to wear socks while doing yoga, you’ll pretty much be able to do whatever the F- you want.
- Can’t reach something in a food aisle? Just yell out to no one “I can’t reach this” and someone will come over.
- Don’t want your waiter to give you more water? Just cover the rim of the glass with your hand without looking at him. He’ll get the message.
- Don’t feel like walking down the street anymore? Just stop right where you are. People will go around you. It’s ok.
- Feel like everywhere you go the music is just too darn loud? Just tell someone, anyone, to lower the music. It doesn’t matter if they have anything to do with the music or not. It’s your day!
- Feel like doing yoga in black cotton socks while a bunch of people sit around praying? Go right ahead. Nothing’s weird for an old person!
But, what is weird is the scene going on behind Dharma.
Really. What are those people doing in the background in this photo? Are they praying? Praying for what? Are they clapping? Clapping for whom? Are they singing? What are they singing about? And, whose empty yoga mat is that? (see above) Where did that person go? Are they taking the picture? What the hell is going on here?!
You know what? You older-than-me people are so damn cool. I hate that this society has no idea what the hell to do with you. You should be walking around with bones around your neck carrying mojo bags filled with hair and dirt. Call me sometime. We should talk about how to change this mess.